Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes

via pinterest original source annies-eats.net

So almost exactly one month ago my blogging pal Shannon posted this picture on her weekend wishes.  She very subtly asked me to make them for her, but gluten free of course.  Well, me being a fabulously wonderful friend (humble too, I might add) I started to make the recipe gluten free.  I started with the original recipe from Annie's Eats, but it just didn't turn out right :(  So I thought and thought and dreamed and sewed (what you didn't know that sewing is a big part of creating a recipe?) and then the other day I got the idea to check some of the recipes I already had.  I found this delicious sounding recipe that was perfect for tweaking!  So Shannon...here you go:

Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Latte Pumpkin Cupcakes
recipe adapted from Applesauce Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting found in The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook

1 cup Sorghum Flour
1 cup White Rice Flour
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1/2 cup Potato Starch Flour (note: you could use a whole cup of cornstarch or switch out the potato starch for tapioca)
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons guar gum (again, you could use an entire tablespoon of xanthan gum)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine (stick)
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (I used fresh, but you could use canned)
1/4 cup apple butter
2 tablespoons instant coffee grounds
2 large egg whites
1 large egg

Makes: I made 18 cupcakes and a small 8 inch circular cake...so you could easily make 24-30 cupcakes with this recipe.

I find it easier and faster to gather all my ingredients and measure them before starting the mixing process.  You'll also want to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit  and line your cupcake tins with paper liners.

Mix dry ingredients together (flours, soda, xanthan gum, guar gum, & spices), set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together.  This takes about 3-5 minutes at medium speed so while the mixer is going microwave the apple butter for 20-30 seconds.  Then add the instant coffee grounds to the warm apple butter, mix well.

When butter and sugar are well blended add pumpkin puree, egg whites, egg and apple butter mixture.  Beat well.

Add flour mixture in slowly, beating until well blended.


Batter will look like this.  Spoon batter into prepared cupcake pans.  Bake for 15 minutes.



Allow cupcakes to cool.  Then frost if desired.


I used a cream cheese frosting and sprinkled a little cinnamon on top for looks and flavor.

Now all that is left to do is enjoy them!  Or better yet, invite a friend over for coffee, knitting and a tasty cupcake.  Shannon, your cupcake is waiting!


{{hugs}}
Buffy

You might see a few more recipes on here the next couple of weeks.  I've been busy baking and I love to share what I make.  Is there a recipe you'd like gluten free?  Let me know and I'll see if I can recreate it for you!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your pictures look amazing! I love the picture you took inside the oven...makes me hungry! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh Buffy you are the bestest! Yummy!!!! You rock! I'll be right over to have all of them..haha..that is how yummy they look. I just want to gobble them all up :) You brought a smile to my face today so thank you so much for being you my dear :) Giant hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! They are super yummy :) I know I've eaten way too many and since Husband won't eat them (the crazy man hates coffee) and I don't want the kids to eat too many (cause of the coffee) I'm the one stuck eating them...Oh being a momma is hard ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Really I do. It brightens my day when you comment so please don't be shy and tell me what you think...come back too because I try really hard to reply to your comments here. Thanks again for stopping by.