Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lincoln Abel

Okay so I woke up this morning and realized that the last two days flew past me and I had forgotten to post about my other two delightful children. Shameful, I know!

So now I shall rectify that by a few pictures of my darling boy, Lincoln. The oldest of five and the child that made me a mother. I love him dearly despite all our difficulties (I can say that about all my kids).





Eating an ice cream cone for the first time since going gluten free
(it's a gluten free ice cream cone)



The look on Lincoln's face is...well classic. Especially in light of Vinny & Samuel's smiles.



Here is the forever oldest brother holding our newest baby Thaddeus.
This is certainly a far cry from when Samuel was born and he was more interested in the new outfit Gramma & Grampa had bought him.



That boy smiles...A LOT...and it makes me smile too.

This last year has been so difficult from finding out that he had Asperger's and learning how to cope with that and how to teach a child with special needs. However, this last year has been exciting too. Lincoln has finally found something he loves...plants! The questions never stop, he wants to know everything from what a plant is called to how it grows and wants to know why strawberries grow on vines and why you can't grow a pickle! I have been so happy to see him take such an interest in something...even if I don't know all the answers.

We still have a lot to learn from each other and it won't always be easy. However, I have learned a lot about communicating with him especially if it is serious. The first thing I have to do is remain calm and patient and realize that just because he's smiling doesn't mean he's happy. That if I really need him to listen we have to sit side by side - no eye contact- and I have to talk slowly, purposefully and in a lower than normal voice. Before getting upset I reword a question, or define words two or three times until he understands. Though I think the biggest thing I do that works best is quoting scripture that applies to the situation...which of late is "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you."

I'm certainly not perfect at this but when I do this Lincoln responds so much better to correction. I think I'll only have to repeat the golden rule another hundred times before he'll at least be able to repeat it with me. I love that boy to pieces and am excited for the future!

Side Note: I've been uploading the pics from picasa and I've been making collages however the program is a little controlling with what it posts from either a few select pics to the entire collage. Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Really I do. It brightens my day when you comment so please don't be shy and tell me what you think...come back too because I try really hard to reply to your comments here. Thanks again for stopping by.