Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Spring Top!



Well I finally finished my top for the Spring Top contest over on Rae's blog. I know I had hoped to enter two, but apparently having 5 children under 6.5 years and one of those being a newborn was too much, even for me, to get a lot of sewing done.





Vinny was so curious about my mini photo shoot.

Since the front and back look so similar I added a fabric rose flower to the front.
I'm rather impressed with the flower as I had never made one before and didn't have a pattern.


I like how the shirt covers up my post-baby tummy, yet it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a moo-moo.


Overall I'm happy with the top. I did use the Spring Top Tutorial from Rae. She always has fabulous directions and great photos to go with. In the future when I make this top again I'll add a zipper or look for cotton stretch fabric. It is slightly difficult to take off. I also think it might be fun to try to make it with a button-up placket too, that way you could tell right off which is the front and which is the back.
I love the fabric, I think it is so feminine yet very chic. Up close you can see the silver dots are metallic. Also, I was afraid the cotton was too thin and I'd have to line the top but as you can see it isn't see-through at all. I already have plans to make up a top for Elsa with the fabric so we can match on nice spring days.

So here are the specs:
Pattern: Spring Ruffle Top by Rae Hoekstra
Fabric: Polka Dots is from JoAnn Fabrics two springs ago, I meant to make a dress or shirt then but...well you understand. The Pink Fabric was a remnant I found at JoAnn's this January. It's a batik, I really like it.
Time to complete: Longer than I thought it would, but holding my new baby is so worth all the extra time it took. I mean just look at that handsome face!


Look at that smile! Can't hardly believe he's a month old already.
Also, Husband was very accommodating in taking the pics of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Really I do. It brightens my day when you comment so please don't be shy and tell me what you think...come back too because I try really hard to reply to your comments here. Thanks again for stopping by.