Thursday, March 4, 2010

Baby Knitting

Okay so I have to admit that I suffered a cruel knitting setback in February. Some of you may know that I have been knitting a sweater for a friend and I made it my goal to finish it by the end of February. I worked on it almost every night while I was watching the olympics, took it with me everywhere and on Saturday the 27th, I cast off the hood and began weaving in ends. That's when it happened. Disaster struck. The sweater, finished all but some minor seaming and strategic placement of buttons, had not just 1 but 2 HOLES in it! I nearly broke down right there on the spot, but my irritation prevented it. I still am not completely sure how this happened. My money is on the yarn, as I am an avid moth-preventer (I don't waste time with my shoe and they know it, I'm sure there are warning signs around our house for moths 'Enter with Caution, Mad Knitter'). Other signs that it was the yarn...throughout the knitting process it would pill in my hands, despite never being washed or worn the edges of my knitting were showing signs of wear (seriously, how did that happen). So my educated opinion is that 1) superwash wool really isn't as fabulous as we've been lead to believe and 2) the yarn I got was so bad that it pilled to the point of breaking the yarn and subsequent unraveling in project.

I have determined my course of action to fix this, however my anger towards said yarn must cool lest I do something I'll regret. I will in fact reknit the cuff and part of the sleeve, cut horizontally (yes, I'm scared already) in the holey sleeve to remove hole and expose live stitches then graft the newly knitted sleeve in place. Perhaps I'll get ambitious and do a tutorial of my experience for you all.

So after aforementioned set back, I quickly grabbed some yummy, hand wash only, wool and set to knitting for the baby. This plan has recovered my temporary disgust of the craft, fueled my tank for more knitting and in fact I have plans for yet another grown-up sweater (for me though).

How? You are probably asking could baby knitting do all of that? Well, let me just say that baby knitting is like knitters instant gratification, quick, pretty, and well knitted. I have since Saturday completed 3 projects. Yes 3! I have the pictures to prove it. You of course saw the first one, that adorable little flower hat I know you all loved. Now let me add to it the Baby T-Shirt Vest and Little Boy Blue Ribbed Baby Hat.



Isn't that just adorable? Picture of course it atop a precious baby boy head.


See? Even Samuel is excited over the hat!

Pattern: Little Boy Blue Ribbed Baby Hat
Yarn: Stitch Nation Bamboo Ewe, 55% Viscose from Bamboo/45% Wool
Color: Twilight



Okay, you can tell me that those strips are just perfect.


Pattern: Baby T-Shirt Vest
Yarn: Queensland Collection Bebe Cotsoy 50% Soy/50% Organic Cotton


Oh, I just love baby knitting. I still have one more sweater to make, in case we have a girl. Then Elsa's Easter shrug and my March Mittens...however since this is only the 4th I feel like I've got a good grip on time but then stayed tuned for the end of the month I may have something else to say.

Have a Blessed day!

1 comment:

I love to hear from you! Really I do. It brightens my day when you comment so please don't be shy and tell me what you think...come back too because I try really hard to reply to your comments here. Thanks again for stopping by.