Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bulle Means Bubble in French




So, um, yeah I've been gone from this space for practically eternity.  Being pregnant with 5 kids sorta makes you switch your priorities around.  However, I just finished a project and goodness I got so many pictures that I just HAD to share them all here.

The lovely Shannon from luvinthemommyhood is hosting her annual Tops, Tanks, & Tees Knit Along.  I must confess when she announced it I wasn't sure I would take part.  While I love the KAL experience I haven't had the best track record with actually FINISHING projects and I was (still am) in the throes of knitting for Somebody coming in June.  However, after finishing up not just one, not just two, but THREE different knitting projects for Somebody I felt it was time to knit for someone else (how many sweaters does a baby really need?)  Elsa, seemed a tinge envious of all the baby knits and since Shannon graciously allows us to knit for babies and children if we desire I was in.


 The B&W photo was the very first picture I took during our photo session and by the looks of the Girl I wasn't sure how well it would go...she went ahead and surprised me:











Of course we had to have a little fun too:



Honestly I just kept clicking away, 47 pictures in about 5 minutes and all of them so delightful to look at.  We timed it perfectly because as soon as we were done the sun went behind the clouds and hasn't popped back out since.

Details

Pattern: Bulle by Karen Borrel
Yarn: Cascade Sierra Quatro, 80/20 cotton/wool blend
    I actually happened upon this yarn already knit up into a cardi at the thrift store.  I knew the yarn on site (parlor trick of mine) and at $3 for the sweater I couldn't allow it to stay languishing on the rack.  The cardi wasn't my style at all (nor the color) but I knew I could unknit it and make something stunning-which if I do say so myself I did!  There was just over 300gms from the sweater which equals 3 hanks and I didn't use it all either :)

Universal Dolce Merino, 50/50 micro fiber/merino blend for the pockets

Mods


I didn't get gauge but didn't want to tinker with different needles to see if I could so I simply cast on for the 3/4 to get the 5/6 width and just knit the extra length.  I'll tell you that I began to grow nervous that it might not be big enough...well long enough but after blocking it was perfect.  She'll be able to wear this all summer long and the bonus about it being a tunic is eventually she'll get to wear it as just a top!

I loved the pattern, it was so neat and just about the time boredom set in something changed.  I'll definitely consider making it again, maybe in all wool for the autumn season.  The part that I loved the most in the pattern, but was the most irritating to do...the pockets.  Yeah, you knit those after the sweater is done and in the round, but because it is in the round you are constantly having to pick up the sweater and turn it for each round...annoying but certainly not a deal breaker in the pattern.

And ladies, don't fret, if you see what you like here I'm happy to report that there is also a Lady Bulle pattern!  I'm thinking I just might knit one for myself this summer :)



4 comments:

  1. What a cutie! The sweater looks adorable on her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks adorable!



    www.vindiebaby.com
    Vintage Inspired Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! You're such a good Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Really I do. It brightens my day when you comment so please don't be shy and tell me what you think...come back too because I try really hard to reply to your comments here. Thanks again for stopping by.