Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Delicious Gluten Free Pie Crust

  The other day I just got a craving for a pumpkin pie, probably all the talk about Pumpkin Spice Latte's ;)  However one of the things I loathe about baking pies is since we've gone to gluten free baking and cooking at home pie crust have gotten harder.  Not that I was great at them before when I could use wheat.  Lucky for me I stumbled upon a pie crust recipe in a wheat cookbook that I've tweak to make the most delicious gluten free pie crust.  Best part?  It is super easy to roll out, not too mention good for you too.



Look at that whole grain goodness!  So here's the recipe:

2 Tablespoons butter/margarine
2 Tablespoons cream cheese
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon milk
1 large egg
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon guar gum

I know, I know that is a pretty long list of ingredients but remember I have five kids and I was able to pull it off!  Plus it is sooooo good and soooo easy to roll out you'll love it despite the list.

1. Mix together butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together until smooth.  Add milk and egg, blend in completely.
2. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients, rice flour, tapioca starch, flax, baking powder and salt.
3. Slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture until well blended.
4. Wrap ball of dough in plastic wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
5. Roll dough to 1/8-1/4 inch thickness between two sheets of parchment paper.
6. Transfer pie crust to pie pan.  Ventilate with fork (one of my favorite parts).
7. Fill with favorite pie filling.

For pumpkin pie I just use the recipe on the back of the can, cause it's simple, always there and tastes good.  Enjoy your pie!


Mmm, pumpkin pie!  The pie was so tasty that I wasn't able to get a picture of it after it came out of the oven!  One pie was completely gone by bedtime...that good!

Well I hope you enjoy the recipe and it is as tasty for you as it was for us.

{{hugs}}
Buffy

What is your favorite pie?  Have any fall cravings yet?  I made myself another pumpkin spice latte this morning and pumpkin spice hot cocoa last night.  Maybe we'll have pumpkin scones tomorrow...what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Really I do. It brightens my day when you comment so please don't be shy and tell me what you think...come back too because I try really hard to reply to your comments here. Thanks again for stopping by.